Wednesday 1 April 2015

Auschwitz

One of the reasons for us visiting Krakow was to go to Auschwitz I and Auschwitz Birkenau. Words cant even begin to descibe my experience during the visit. Ever since learning about the Holocaust, visiting Auschwitz is something I have always wanted to do because I have such a strong passion for history and feel like it is something I needed to see. I strongly feel that everyone should visit a concentration camp at least once in their life, and as difficult as it was to actually hear first hand stories and stand exactly where this horrific crime took place because as George Santayana said, "the one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again." I am going to let my images do the talking for the majority of this post because I feel that the images speak louder than words. I didn't take many pictures because I didn't want to spend my time behind a camera lens. 


A heads up that I wasn't expecting when I visited is that you have to check your bags if it's too big, and also have to go through a security check and metal detector. 

"Work will set you free"
These displays were quite disturbing. In one of the buildings they had rooms filled with prisoners' items such as shoes, luggage, brushes, etc. It really showed the sheer volume of prisoners that attended the concentration camp. There was a room filled with hair that was shaved off of the female prisoners which was very emotional. 




Auschwitz Birkenau 
Extermination and Concentration Camp

"For ever let this place be a cry of
despair and a warning to humanity where the Nazis murdered about one and a half million men, women and children mainly Jews from various countries of Europe."

After the Nazis heard they lost the war, they bombed and tried to destroy evidence of Auschwitz and the heinous crimes they committed. This is why many of the buildings and gas chambers at Auschwitz Birkenau are destroyed.






No comments:

Post a Comment