Saturday 16 August 2014

Canadian Girl In An Italian World


Day 16


Our first class started at 10:30 which was a two period grade 4 class. We had them talk about their favourite things and conversation and then complete a character map where they fill in four of their favourite things. Then we had them do the verbs charades activity. For lunch we had baked pasta that was probably my favourite pasta we have had in Sulmona. 

Drawing from a student on his character map

One of my favourite little troublemakers 


Grade 5 girls

We were supposed to have three grade 5 classes and teach until 4:30, but we only went until 2:30 as we had so much to do. We came back and I decided to go to the Adult class with Melissa and Michelle to observe. Their “students” were a lot older, most were in their 50’s. There was one man who was joking with me as Melissa and Michelle were explaining that Brantford has a big native population, and they explained that was born in Brantford, so he asked if I was a blonde native. (I later found out he was a general in the Italian military, and his granddaughter was in one of my classes.) I stayed about 40 minutes and walked back to the hotel. It was a really nice and peaceful walk, just taking in the gorgeous scenery since we only have a day left. Kylee, Shannon, Kelly and I decided to walk to the mall and the penny market for the last time. Then we walked to get grenita, which is like a creamier slushie. We came back and relaxed until dinner. Dinner was gnocchi and a caprese salad. 





After dinner we practiced a song that we had to prepare for our closing ceremonies tomorrow. Each year the group presents a song and changes the lyrics. This year we did a mash-up, and started with Daft Punk “Get Lucky” and pretended that we were walking in lifting weights, then it changed to the song “Jump” and we had Canadian flags in our hands. Next was “Barbie Girl” by Aqua with the lyrics: “I’m a Canadian girl, in an Italian world. Life is drastic but scholastic, you can teach me here or teach me anywhere. Education, we represent our nation.” Then we switch to “Call Me Maybe” with the lyrics: “Hey we just met you, it’s amazing. We’re in Sulmona so we say thank you. Its hard to say bye, we had a great time, we are so happy so we say thank you.” Then it was Jackson 5’s “ABC’s” and finally “Don’t Stop Believing.” We ended with Gangnam Style where we had Angela, Jenny and Maria go in the middle and dance down the middle and everyone followed after them. I wasn’t as into it as some of the group was, so I hid in the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment